The Old Observatory House was constructed between
1776 - 1793 by New Town architect James Craig.
Originally designed as a fortification with towers at each
corner, the development became largely residential with only
a single tower, owing to funding difficulties.
Thomas Short moved in and used the incomplete
facility to continue his work as an astronomer until his death
His family continued to run the Observatory until 1807 when
ownership reverted back to the City who in turn handed it over
to The Edinburgh Astronomical Institution in 1812.